Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Brazil in St. Louis: Radio Rio

Photo credit
I was back in St. Louis this weekend for my little brother's college graduation. I wasn't expecting my usual dose of Brazilian weekend activites in the Gatway City, but yesterday I got a pleasant surprise. My brother and I had been listening to St. Louis's community radio station, KDHX, all weekend, so when I got back in the car yesterday at 5pm, as soon as I turned the key in ignition, the station came on. This time, instead of the usual twangy folk and blue grass, I heard the soothing vocals of Gal Costa and Caetano Veloso. Radio Rio! I'd completely forgotten about this awesome program since I'd left St. Louis two years ago.


Radio Rio, my favorite KDHX program, plays all types of Brazilian music every Saturday from 5-7pm. The D , Andrea, knows a lot about music and is great about mixing in new songs coming out of Brazil with the classic Samba, Bossa Nova, MPB, and Tropicalia. I am so happy I rediscovered the program yesterday. Even though I'm leaving St. Louis (actually about to board my plane to LGA) I will be sure to revive my old Saturday ritual and start listening to Radio Rio online. You can listen to Radio Rio and all the other KDHX programs streaming live on the KDHX website.


Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment