Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Bem-vindo a Manhattanlândia!

Welcome to Manhattanlândia! I hope you enjoy your stay. I’ve been living here since I moved to New York about 6 months ago. Before that I was living in Nova New Jersey. Before that, São Saint Louis. And before that Belém do Pará, Brasil, which is the inspiration for all of the subsequent residences I have called home.

If you haven’t caught on already, I love Brazil. So much so that I work to recreate some semblance of a Brazilian lifestyle everywhere I go. It’s not easy doing this, especially in a place with relatively few Portuguese speakers and Brazilian owned business like Saint Louis, Missouri. But I usually manage to rout them out.

Fortunately, I now live in New York. One could even call this city a Brazilian hub in the United States, but still behind Newark, Boston, and Miami. It’s great here, though. I get my news in Portuguese every morning, speak Portuguese when I go out at night, dance samba and forró, see Brazilian talent live on stage, and drink too many caipirinhas too often. I even celebrate the Jewish holidays in services lead by a Rabbi from São Paulo.

Yes, one day in the near future I plan on moving to Brazil. But until I do, I am content living in my own Brazil in New York City, a place that I call Mahattanlândia.

No comments:

Post a Comment